March 8, 2014

Being Good Is Important


I think that being good is universal, and does matter.  And I think that the lords of the universe (if any exist) would agree with me upon that, for the very reason that being good invites things to succeed, whereas being bad makes them more prone to fail.  And failing just sucks.  

Said another way, being good has short- and long-term consequences seriously beyond our ken, and invite success of things that might, on many many cosmic levels, really matter.

How much of a difference can we really make?  I'm not really sure, although I think it's a question worth pondering.  I mean, how many people could you seriously help  (or impinge upon) in a lifetime?  How many systems (governmental, economic, relationship, community) could a person help to advance, or help to undermine?   And is there value in the positive outcome?  I think the answer is [expletive] of course there is.

I say: Goodness is honoring those around you, and the systems in which you exist.  Wish for their success just as your own, and on some cosmic level, you really ARE doing good that matters.  You're helping advance things. Love it all.  Wish it the best in the world.   

But then again...


Do you ever think that some people kind of deserve bad things to happen to them?  If so, would the destroyer be doing a good deed?   Could it be good to destroy?  Maybe something good would grow in its place or something. My brother is prone to raging against injustice. 

I don't know how to feel about it.  There is a strong argument to be made that we should fight oppression -- indeed, if we are being oppressed.  Maybe he's right, but it's not in my nature. I'm more of the "Can't we all just get along" type.

A Clean-Cut-Boy-Band-turned-Stoner-Hippie-Troupe once penned: 
You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know you can count me out
I think I support that position, despite having never technically been part of a boy band, myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment